Algae: a practical resource for secondary schools
Supports the teaching of practical microbiology at Key Stage 3/4.
First copy free to school members. To join, go to www.microbiologysociety.org/membership
Price to non‐members £15
To order, please email email@example.com
This resource has been developed to provide a series of well-tested practical activities for use in schools. The practical activities all focus on the micro-organisms known as algae. Algae are common, easy and safe to handle, easy to source and cheap to use. They can be used to illustrate a range of topics, including:
- gas cycling
It contains an introduction to algae, information on each of the five topics listed above, a specific introduction, and student, teacher and technical guides. The resource has an accompanying CD, on which you can find:
- student guides to the practicals (PowerPoint® presentation)
- printable versions of the student guides (PDF)
- a bioluminescence video clip
To support the algae pack, the Culture Collection of Algae and Protozoa (CCAP) have designed a kit comprising a leaflet with culturing advice and samples of:
- Pyrocystis lunula CCAP 1131/1
- Euglena gracilis CCAP 1224/5Z
- Stock solutions for 1 litre of L1 marine medium and JM freshwater medium
Cost will be £25 plus VAT plus p&p. Go to www.ccap.ac.uk directly to order or for more information.